Featured Post

Klickety bought back to life with #LiDA103

Hi all, Welcome to my blog - it was easier to get this blog working again from 13 years ago, rather than creating a new blog in WordPress......

Monday, June 11, 2007

Learning 2.0 Finale

The Web 2.0 awards showed so many sites, it was difficult to see which ones would be best for a library type of application.

I tended towards my favourite addiction: mapping. I checked out www.wayfaring.com , but the map just did not show up, but the tags did. I think it is great to be able to tag where you have been on a trip and write a little speel about each point. I started doing this on maps.google.com , this was more successful than wayfaring. It was good because once you have your google sign on there are so many applications that you can use, where as with wayfaring I needed yet another sign on. I found however that even after saving my work, it did not show up the next time I signed into it. Perhaps I needed to look for the link somewhere. There is another similar application that I have bookmarked on my home computer that I can't remember the title. (This is where Del.icio.us would have come in handy) it shows you the distances between tags. I have used it to measure my jogging distance around Yokine reserve and found I was not doing 5km as I was guessing I was. It is a bit like an online pedometer.

As far as library applications, I could not really find any use within a library other than perhaps a link on the library homepage to show where we are on the map of Perth.

I also checked out some Widgets, bookmarking and travel sites. I can see how Widgets could come in handy if you chose an appropriate item. I would think it just clutters up your screen a bit more though, not something I would go for.

Klickety.

No comments: